. > ...

Visit the main website of Leyton & Leytonstone Historical Society

Interwar contents

Section contents

About footnotes in . > ...

Between the World Wars 1919 – 1939

Next (right)

the history of Leyton and Leytonstone

from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces

Have your say

Next (right)


The County High Schools charged fees.  Leyton County High School for Boys was relocated to a new building in Essex Road in 1929.  

Forest School just over the border in Walthamstow was a one-man business with the proprietor-headmaster who was not a member of the Headmaster’ Conference, a defining attribute of the public school.  (By contrast in 2007 the Head of Forest School Andrew Boggis was the chairman of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference).  There was therefore not as sharp a split before the Second World War as after between public school education and alternatives.

There are indications that parents who wanted their children to do well in life looked outside Leyton for schools : Parmiter’s at Bethnal Green, for example, or Wanstead.

previous page