. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
Famous people who came from our area
The cinema architect George Coles attended Newport Road School and Leyton Technical Institute. His mother ran a sweet shop at 30 Francis Road (now a cafe) between 1901, when George was an architect's assistant aged 16 living there, and 1906. Coles was later to design the Savoy, which opened in 1928 at the junction of Church Road and Lea Bridge Road (later known as the Gaumont, Odeon, Curzon and Classic, now a bingo club photo above), and many other cinemas.
Eric Ashby, Harry Beck, Reginald Horace Blyth, George Bolton, Fanny Cradock, Frank Dobson, Zoe Dyke, Charles Eade, Kenneth Farnes, Henry C Fehr, Stuart Freeborn, James Hilton, Roy Ullyett