. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
The role of religion in education was controversial for a long time. The ‘National Schools’ had been founded before state-funded education. They tried to keep their independence and their close association with the Church of England. In 1894 the only Council-run ‘board’ schools in Wanstead were those in the part of that local authority which was later transferred to Leyton, the ‘Wanstead Slip’ which included Cann Hall and Crownfield Roads 1.
1 “The Express & Independent / Saturday, June 2, 1894. / Severed Wanstead” newspaper cutting page numbered 348b in “Wire Collection News Cuttings 1894”, VHM shelf item at L04 Q
2 Express and Independent Almanack bound as a VHM shelf item L60 'Chronology of Leyton events
The Leyton School Board by then had schools at Kirkdale Road, Church Road and Harrow Green, Newport Road and Mayville Road. It went on to open schools at Lea Bridge Road (1891), Capworth Street (1896), Ruckholt Road (1898), Goodall Road, Connaught Road and Farmer Road (1900) and Davies Lane (1901) 3. In 1900 the Leyton National Schools had to give up the struggle against rates-funded education and accepted transfer to the control of the School Board 2. The Leytonstone National School closed in 1876 because of the opening of Kirkdale Road School 3. >>