. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
Planting of foreign trees, particularly north American, became a hobby of the rich. The nursery ground once run by Adam Holt was continued by John Hay 1759 to 1792, James Hill 1761 to 1832. It is now Harold Road and adjacent streets. It contained several water pumps and was opposite a street pump on Leytonstone High Road. There was a ‘Bourne’ nursery (which may be the same as the American which was on Bourne Charity land).
In 1775 there were three nurserymen and eight market-gardeners in Leyton. One of these was Spencer Turner, and his nursery was along the south side of what is now called Langthorne Road from Brierley Road to Victoria Road. Turner created a semi-evergreen oak which was named after him : 'Quercus x Turneri'. Richard Syborne was a nurseryman on Lea Bridge Road by 1755 1, the site later becoming Overton , Belvedere and Hitcham Roads. Fraser's Lea Bridge nursery was well-known in the 19th century.
Pamplin's nursery was at Black Marsh farm, Lea Bridge Road.