. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
The population (continued)
The local authority area of Leyton had its main centre on the section of Leyton High Road that had the Town Hall, the Library, the Technical Institute and Coronation Gardens but only small shops. Leytonstone became a rival when the combined branch library and electricity showroom were built on the corner of the High Road and Church Lane, to an impressive design. The gas showroom was nearby, as was the Bearmans department store (founded in 1898 5 ), with the church of St John’s already occupying a dignified position. The Bakers Arms centre was a busy junction for trams and motor vehicles, and was given a new swimming baths. These centres had branch post offices. The ‘variety store’ Woolworths opened outlets at the Bakers Arms and Leytonstone High Road. Boots the Chemists opened in Leytonstone High Road. This was the infrastructure of suburbia. The locations of popular shops were decided by commercial considerations. The local authority area of Leyton had become a collection of centres, in contrast to Walthamstow which was more concentrated on the High Street and had a more comprehensive selection of the retail store chains including Marks & Spencer.