. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
A campaign was started for a free public library in Leyton, which Harrow Green head teacher Alfred Phillip Wire was writing to the newspapers in 1891 to support. Another campaigner was E C Pittam who was also a leader in the campaign to protect the Lammas Lands from encroachment. The first free public library was opened in May 1893 in the building still used as a public library on Leyton High Road, which had been built as the first town hall 1 (photo below).
1 “The Express & Independent. / Saturday, May 27th,1893 // Leyton Free Library” numbered 292 in “Wire Collection News Cuttings 1893”, VHM shelf item at L04 Q