. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
Protestant worship other than the Church of England
A religious community, the ‘Christian Brethren’, rebuilt Leyton Hall, Goldsmith Road in 1912, married amongst themselves, with surnames including Offord, Simson, Syme and Blake, and lived in that neighbourhood 1.
Some prominent Nonconformists lived in the area. George Andrew Hutchison was editor of the ‘Boy’s Own Paper’, which was established by the Religious Tract Society to provide exciting stories but not the sensational subject matter of the ‘penny dreadfuls’. He lived to his 1913 death at Ivy Bank by what is now Henry Reynolds Gardens but then a pond on the edge of Epping Forest. Members of the Quaker Lister family lived at Sycamore House in Leytonstone High Road.
1 extracts from the family history compiled by Eric Collen, in a VHM ‘buildings’ folder