recollections, photos and memorabilia of Leyton and Leytonstone
Connaught Road was first occupied some time between 1901 and 1905. It was ‘made up’ by the Council 1903-04. The street was perhaps named after Arthur Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, (1850–1942), 3rd son of Queen Victoria, who laid the foundation stone of St. Andrew’s Church, Leytonstone in 1886. He had grown up at Ranger's House, Greenwich and became the head of British Freemasonry. In 1902 he was given the rank of Field Marshal but his approach to inspections upset the senior Army men and he was kept overseas from about 1908 (see the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography).
This splendid photograph taken at the street party to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II comes from Alex Wilkinson.