. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
Water mills were part of a rigorous system of exploitation of agricultural resources by lords of the manor. Windmills were often sited at or near parish boundaries, on high ground rather than a river, in a later period when market forces were stronger. A mill was built in 1676 at the boundary of Walthamstow and Woodford on a track from the end of what is now Lea Bridge Road 1. Leyton also had a mill near what is now the junction of Francis and Newport Roads 1, but there is little information about it.