. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
In the 14th century Westminster became the permanent seat of government. It was separate from, though adjacent to, London, which was itself growing in size and wealth. Rich London businessmen started to buy land in Leyton. Adam Fraunceys, Master of the prestigious Mercers Company in 1352, purchased the right in 1359 to hold the manor of Ruckholt 1. Adam Fraunceys was Mayor of London for 2 years in 1352 and 1353, and returned as one of London’s Members of Parliament 6 times. He also held the manor of Chobhams to the south of Ruckholt 1.
Thomas Campion, a merchant tailor, leased the Grange house in 1535 with its parlours, buttery, stable, and hayhouse. This is another example of a London businessman buying property in Leyton.