. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
Landowners following the Restoration of Charles II cont’d
In 1681 James Houblon, son of a Huguenot refugee, took over Forest House in 1682. He was friendly with Samuel Pepys - they both helped create the spa town of Tunbridge Wells in Kent – and with the other famous diarist and Royal Navy administrator John Evelyn, who visited the new Forest House that Houblon was building. Houblon was a director of the East India and Levant Companies, London Common Councilman 1675-83, 1688-90, 1691-92, and in September 1692 became Alderman for the Aldersgate Ward. He was one of the first directors of the Bank of England but not a true Whig. In July 1698 elected one of the MPs for the City of London but he was already ill and he died in 1700.
The Huguenot Charles Marescoe moved to Leyton from the City of London in 1665 1.
Lawrence Moyer, nephew of the Roundhead of that name, living in Leyton from 1667, was a key member of a group of Whig merchants and financiers who resented the domination of the East India Company in the 1680s by a Tory, pro-court clique headed by Sir Josiah Child of Wanstead.
1 Leyton House and the Walthamstow Slip by David Ian Chapman published by Leyton & Leytonstone Historical Society