Kingston Road was first laid out by landowners the Manby-Colegrave family around
1879-1882, and had the name Melrose Road until 1903 or 1904. We do not know the origin
of either the first or the second name name of the street.
It ran north from Crownfield Road to Victoria Road. It was demolished in 1968 in
the creation of the Avenue Road Council housing estate.
Street party in 1951 to celebrate the Festival of Britain