. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
the design of houses for the wealthy (continued)
In his map of 1741-44 John Roque shows a house in roughly the same position and similar alignment and size to Leytonstone House but that building is given later dates, even 1830. It existed in 1812 because a plan is dated to that year, and seems to show 3 curved bays at the rear, of which 2 would have been on the wings. A conveyancing plan shows a piece of common land appropriated by Philip Sansom to give a curved frontage distancing the house a little more from the roadway. The implications are that Leytonstone House had existed for some time before modifications were made. (Wings with curved ends were added to Rangers House, Blackheath about 1750. Remodelling of Valentines Mansion, Ilford to create curved end bays is dated to around 1769 and that is thought to be the time similar treatment was given to Water House, Walthamstow.)