. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
The 17th century diarist John Evelyn was an enthusiast for ornamental gardens and grounds. The nurseryman Adam Holt was paying rates from 1710 to 1729 on a large area of ground near Grove Green. He carried out work on the grounds of Wanstead House and moved to that area. His old premises are now marked by Harold Road and adjacent streets.