COPYING THIS ARTICLE :
This article is based on the work of others. To the limited extent that it is original work, it has been written by David Boote who took the photos. It may be made available to others, directly or indirectly, but only on condition that his authorship is acknowledged in any subsequent copy made of the text or photos.
The tithe map of 1843 (right) shows one pond behind the Grange to have roughly kept its keyhole shape but shows another pond with a naturalistic outline. ‘The Polite Repository’ of 1809 included an engraving of The Grange as the home of Thomas Lane 6, which makes it possible that Humphry Repton had been consulted about landscaping 7 and changes made. We do not know.
In 1861 the house was demolished and from that time streets of terraced housing started to be build over its grounds.
7 ‘A Gazetteer of Sites in Essex associated with Humphry Repton’ edited by Fiona Cowell and Georgina Green (very kindly drawn to DWB’s attention by the latter) p 95, but the house is shown with 5 windows on each floor and a pitched roof, as well as being located in adjacent Walthamstow.
The elegant house of Leyton Grange