. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
In 1919 Parliament created a scheme under which local authorities could build affordable housing. Across the Lea Valley the Councils of Tottenham and Wood Green participated. But in 1922 central government curtailed its financial contribution. Only 4,442 homes had been built across greater London. 7 Leyton Council built about 140 houses on the Barclay Estate in 1922 2. From 1923 central government made some effort to bridge the gap between the rent that people could afford and the prevailing level of rent being charged.
Leyton Council took some advantage of a scheme to build houses for those with an income below £ 5 a week : about 146 houses on the Nursery Park Estate 1926/27, 6 houses on Beaumont Road in 1928, 48 flats as the White House Estate in 1934, and 12 flats in Jesse Road, also in 1934 2.
The New London Survey 1929-30 found houses it judged least satisfactory near the West Ham boundary and a group of roads including Beaumont Road and Byron Road. >>